Wednesday, February 21, 2007

January: Shining Our Light III

by Troy Chapman

(published January 07)

In the month of January, we’ve been exploring “Shining Your Light”: being the light of the world. We’ve received some great examples and here’s one more. Thank you all for the examples you sent of moments when you found yourself shining a light.

Here’s one from our friend Janice:

A few years ago, Bob and I were waiting to take a three-hour train ride home. The train was late. Most of the crowd was in an apathetic state, including me. Gradually, I noticed a frantic rhythm coming from the person standing next to me. I would guess he was in his late teens and he was rapidly going through all his bags and pockets. I wasn’t sure whether to step in, but as he continued his hunt I decided I would.

“Did you lose something?”

“Yes, I need to buy a ticket home and I’m short a few dollars.”

“By how much?”

“Let’s see.” He counted his money again. “I think about $5.00.”

“Here,” I said, finding and handing him two fives. “Use the second one to buy yourself a cup of coffee or something to eat on the way home.”

He handed the second five back to me and said, “No, that’s all right, I just need one five.”

“But keep the other five in case you need something during the trip,” I said.

“No, that’s O.K. I only want to take what I need,” he insisted, “Thank you. Thank you so much!”

I didn’t press him further to take the other five because I could see that it was important to him to be honorable, and I so respected that.

I don’t have children, but I thought that if I did have a son and he was in trouble, I would definitely want someone to help him. And I felt that I had done this for his mother, too.



“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. … Our playing small does not serve the world. … We were born to manifest the glory of spirit, which is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.” —Nelson Mandela